Saturday, February 18, 2006

Going out with a script: chronicling the process

So, my latest screenplay news is this: the newest draft of my screenplay JONESING is going to be going out to select production companies and actors at the end of the month.

I have a manager working with me, and he helped get an agent on board (I'm not technically a client of this agent -- he's hip pocketing me at this point). The agent (who will remain nameless for now; if he ends up being "my agent" in the future, I'll be more forthcoming with details) really liked the script and had just a few minor notes, which have now been executed.

I'm a 'new writer' in Hollywood terms, and JONESING isn't really high concept, so it's not going to go out 'wide' to the industry. I believe the agent will be targeting specific companies who have done similar material (the script is a very dark comedy). And we worked up a list of actors who would be fantastic in the lead role (some of these were bigger stars, and some were lower-profile character actors who would be a dream to have in this role). The best person for the part? Well, that depends on who makes the film. If it's done as a moderately-budgeted 'big production company' project, a bigger star would be needed. If it's done as a lower-budget indie ($5 million or less), we could go with one of those 'perfect for the part' character actors.

I'll post updates as things happen. Right now, I am proofing the final draft and will send it to the agent in the next few days.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sujewa Ekanayake said...

Your Hollywood adventures are fun to read Chris. Looking forward to future episodes.

Sujewa
*******

2/18/2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

thanks for reading, and for commenting. keep coming back. i promise to blog regularly. i think this script going out will give me more to blog about!

2/20/2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger chutry said...

Yes, do keep us updated, Chris.

Chuck

http://chutry.wordherders.net

2/20/2006 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home