Wednesday, April 19, 2006

First JONESING Update

Not much of a surprise (to me) but about 4 producers got back to Agent (already!) saying that Jonesing is too dark.

Yeah, hence the genre designation 'dark comedy.' I used to call it 'black comedy' until a former manager asked me if I wanted to cast Morgan Freeman. Sigh.

So, obviously I'm not thrilled to hear people not going for the script because they think it's too dark, but I think it's a matter of finding the right small/indie-type producer who goes for this kind of stuff. For the bigger companies, this would be a writing sample for me, more than likely.

But I'm fairly sure a buyer will have to come from the smaller, specialty-division or indie world. But, you know, what do I know? I'm all for more people reading it.

I do know that the southern California landscape is littered with projects deemed 'too something' by the major players, and the ones that survive and get made have to go through all those rejections before finding the right person.

I know the script is good; I know the writing is solid. The positive side of this is that I'm getting read at major companies -- this is not a minor thing, at least to my thinking. It took me a while to get here, and ultimately took the right relationship/friendship and the right timing, and I'm pleased that it's happening at all.

But a sale would be, in the words of N. Dynamite, sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home