Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Releasing on DVD

I'm preparing a 2-disc DVD release of The Proper Care & Feeding of an American Messiah. The second disc will have nine deleted scenes (around 36 minutes of additional edited footage) and an hour-long documentary about the making of the film. I've decided to self-release it via CustomFlix, which seems like a great service for this very thing. CustomFlix allows you to create a DVD-on-Demand release. That is, you send them your DVD masters and artwork, and they duplicate on demand, as orders come in. They also shrink wrap and ship for you. All for a set per-disc fee, of course.

The reason I'm in favor of this: I don't have to pay for and carry an inventory of DVDs, nor do I have to have anything to do with "fulfillment" (packing and shipping). And CustomFlix now has a deal with Amazon.com, so the films will be listed on Amazon.

So -- I'm excited about the prospect of getting it out there and making some money. In the end, of course, I'd like to get a theatrical release and/or a full DVD release supported by marketing, but I'll gladly self-release and try to make some sales. If I can make some money back for my investor, I might be able to prove that I am a filmmaker worthy of future investment (not just from the original investor, but others as well).

I'll announce the availibility of the film here, so anyone who is interested can purchase it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea! You've got me very interested in this avenue. I am sure you did all the research... so i hope you don't mind if i ask a few questions.

Are there any up front fees? If so... what did you have to pay?

Did you just send them your master to be duplicated (was it that easy)?

Thanks Chris. Your site is very informative and helpful. I appreciate everything.

11/25/2006 3:53 AM  
Blogger Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

I'm looking forward to buying my copy! I'm sure you'll update us... ahem.

11/25/2006 7:55 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

guil,

there are upfront fees, but they are pretty minimal (and there's a special right now -- if you do it before the end of the year, there's no setup fee).

you send them your master dvd (there are some specific format restrictions, but nothing problematic). And you upload (I think) your DVD cover art and DVD-face-art as well. And within a couple of weeks, they're ready to sell.

I haven't done mine yet, as I'm still creating the masters (my movie was on a dual-layer disc, which is a no-no in this process).

11/26/2006 6:13 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Pooks,

I will be spamming everyone with the news, so I'll make sure you know.

11/26/2006 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home