Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Got Tenure

I have been looking forward to this day for a long time - five-and-a-half years, to be precise. I was notified today that I have been granted tenure at Baylor University. What this means, for those of you unfamiliar with the world of academic employment, is that I have earned the right, according to Baylor, to have a job for life.

What an immense feeling of relief this brings. My family now knows that we will be here for the long term, and that I won't lose my job in a year (which, by the way, is the consequence of NOT being granted tenure; it's pretty much "up, or out").

I don't think the shock has yet worn off. The feeling of relief is all I can claim right now. Well, that plus a feeling of thanks and gratitude towards all those who supported me through this - family and friends who wanted nothing but the best, colleagues who were there with me as they too pursue tenure, and senior colleagues who supported me in so many ways. Thank you to all of you out there who have been with me through the past five-and-a-half years of working towards this goal.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gaffney said...

Congratulations!

2/10/2010 2:33 PM  
Blogger Mike Everleth said...

All I can say is: Yay!

2/10/2010 3:41 PM  
Blogger Wildwaco said...

Congrats....

2/10/2010 4:16 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Thanks all - it's a weight off my shoulders, I'll tell you...

2/10/2010 7:25 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Congratutations!

2/11/2010 7:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am a little behind on reading your blog but congrats on tenure!

2/19/2010 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Fro said...

congrats Chris! you definitely deserve it

3/19/2010 8:48 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Thanks Josh, Jonathan, and Fro.


Fro - it's a pleasure to be part of what inspires students like you. Hope things are well.

3/19/2010 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home