Sunday, February 04, 2007

It's About Time


Possibly the greatest living director in America has finally won the DGA Award for direction of a feature film, for his latest work, The Departed. And while The Departed might not be the film that Taxi Driver is (or Raging Bull, or Goodfellas), it is an excellent twisting and turning film.

I think I would have been disappointed if he had won for The Aviator or Gangs of New York, both interesting films but not up to the same standard of his other works.

But I feel he has legitimately made one of the best films of the year.

Scorsese, you must understand, is also one of the main reasons I became a filmmaker. Though I can't say his films have directly influenced my work, the orginality and boldness of his work have always inspired me, and I've always wanted to be the same kind of bold and independently-minded filmmaker.

Congratulations, Marty.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally saw The Deaprted last night and liked it quite a bit. The editing, in particular, was crisp and fast (thansk to longtime Scorsese editor Thelma Schoonmaker).

I was fascinated by the film's status as a remake of Infernal Affairs, which itself was heavily influenced by Scorsese's urban grit.

2/04/2007 8:49 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

i agree wholeheartedly about the editing, chuck. i think the editing really contributes to the way scorsese's films work -- the bold approach to character and style of the shooting is matched by the bold editing.

2/05/2007 5:30 PM  
Blogger Alan Smithee said...

I'm proud to say that I actually voted for Marty this year and it meant something.

2/06/2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

well, from someone who is a big fan, you have my appreciation!

2/06/2007 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home