Friday, January 19, 2007

Lazy Friday Posting

Things I thought about today:
  • I still haven't raised a dime for my next feature film, Endings. I still don't know where to start. I know I'll be applying for a grant from the Austin Film Society's fund, but that's pretty competitive, and I need to find some money in addition to that...
  • I am trying to visualize the narrative flow of the short documentary I'm working on (Clean Freak). I am also trying to figure out how I can shoot a documentary about me without using an outside camera operator. Should I hook up a couple of cameras in the living room and other rooms and operate them via remote control? Does that sound crazy? Or daring?
These are things I have thought about, but about which I have done nothing today. The one thing I am in process of actually accomplishing:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. You said this before, but silly me has a mind like a sive and I forgot--what is "Endings" about and how much do you need?

2. Why can't you use an outside camera operator for "Clean Freak"?

3. I really look forward to seeing a clip from "The Proper Care..." on You Tube. I just went there and discovered you had the trailer. A good start!

4. Would you care to share any highlights of your class discussion about "The Godfather" on your blog? I suspect I'm not the only one who is interested.

Have a great day, Chris!

1/19/2007 12:19 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Hi Jonathan,

1 -- Endings is my new feature, an indie drama about three people all facing their deaths on the same day. Somewhat experimental in structure, it's about the way these three people's lives change when they meet. I'm trying to raise a budget of around $50,000. Now -- I made MESSIAH on about $20,000, and the scope of this film is a little bigger (but intentionally still small enough to do guerilla style). I'm also trying to see if I can talk to some people about making it a bigger indie film, with some known actors, but that's a long shot, of course. My goal is to shoot it myself, much like MESSIAH (in Waco, during the summer, with a mostly student crew), in summer 2008.

2 -- I can. I just don't want to. Since shooting doc footage can be so time consuming, it would involve me either paying a lot or depending on someone to volunteer, neither of which appeals to me that much. I'm still working out how I want the stuff that occurs at my house to "look and feel."

3 -- Thanks for the comment! That YouTube trailer hasn't had a lot of hits, unfortunately. I hope the new clips will. Brian will also have his own blog, where he'll be writing and posting the videos.

4 -- the class discussion went pretty well. We focused a lot the first day on the film's various definitions of family, and the way Vito interprets that vs. the way Michael does. Day two was focused mostly on the violence, on whether or not the film approves or disapproves of it. We talked a lot about how violence begets violence in the film, and also how the characters are somewhat blind to the fact that violence is only making things worse (since it also made their fortunes).

1/19/2007 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/04/2009 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home