Thursday, December 20, 2007

Movie Disappointment

I really love movies. All kinds of movies. I'm partial lately to smaller indie fare, and I think part of the reason is that they often tend to live up to their hype a little better than studio films (which are sometimes nothing but hype). But because I love movies of all sorts, it always disappoints me when a good idea is executed poorly.

The latest potential example is I Am Legend. I was pretty jazzed about seeing it, as it seems like one of those tour de force performance films that has the potential to be pretty unique. You know -- it features one pretty good actor all by himself for long stretches, a la Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

But then a friend told me that it really doesn't live up to the hype, and that it is, in fact, a bit if a letdown. Well. That really bugs me. Because I want to really love it, but I know now that I probably won't.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Everleth said...

I've heard about people being felt let down by the ending, but I actually really enjoyed the movie. It was one of those kinds of things where I was really interested in seeing it, based on the subject matter, but kept very low expectations going in.

While I was disappointed in the CGI monsters, I thought it was pretty scary throughout, the effects of a desolate NYC were totally amazing and I actually thought Will Smith did pretty good. And you have to see it just for the dog.

I thought it was worth watching.

12/23/2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

I'll likely still see it. I just think it's interesting that, more and more, my movie-going is controlled by expectation vs. reality. I don't get to go to the theater as often as I'd like, so I try to make the experience really count. No Country For Old Men, for example, was a no-brainer. I'll always see a Coen Bros. film (though Ladykillers took me a while to get to).

The premise of I Am Legend is intriguing -- the lone man left to ponder existence. The existential nature of it is interesting. I just hate to see something potentially interesting wasted.

But, like I said, I'll likely see it anyway to judge for myself. Even if the end IS a letdown, sometimes the rest of the movie is worth it.

12/23/2007 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home