Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Career Day

You know you've arrived in life when you're asked to speak at your child's Career Day. "Filmmaker" is just too unusual a career choice to pass up, I suppose.

On Friday, I'll be speaking to several classes full of first graders, explaining what I do. I am at a loss as to how to explain this effectively and engagingly to six year olds, but I'm working on it. For one thing, I'm bringing a large HDV camera (the Canon XL-H1 -- because it cuts an impressive pose on a tripod), and I'm planning on throwing together a powerpoint presentation with photos to emphasize the various parts of the process (script, preproduction/planning, production, postproduction).

I'm hoping to find a way to make that interesting for them. If you have any ideas, let me know!

2 Comments:

Blogger B.K. Garceau III said...

is there anyway to capture your presentation on film? lol

Good choice for the cut of the XL-H1; as far as ideas maybe you could do an example of an idea through the stages of the process by asking the first graders to give you a basic idea... and then take them through it all...

wow ... this is tough! Have fun with it and good luck!

3/13/2008 12:11 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hey, good luck, Chris. That sounds like fun. First graders will love it. I remember when I was in first grade, I wanted to be a movie director; perhaps if I had actually met a real live one, I might have gone on to become one.

Perhaps a very brief clip (2 or 3 minutes) from one of your movies would do, if you can find a scene that would be appropriate for 6-year-olds.

Don't hesitate to ask the teacher for guidelines. I'm sure they would have a much better idea than you of what would and wouldn't work with first graders.

3/14/2008 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home