Friday, April 04, 2008

There are good actors in Texas...

...and I saw several today in auditions for various roles for Endings. It was marked difference from the experience of auditioning people for my previous film. I don't know if the track record made a difference, or if we just got a better "draw" this time around, but the actors we saw today were a pretty solid bunch, and I'm fairly certain that several of them will be in Endings (if they want the roles we offer).

Pleasant surprise -- a full day of auditioning can be exhausting (and, believe me, I am exhausted), and it's really nice to come away from that day feeling like you're going to have good actors in your movie.

Clean Freak news: I just learned (right after that great day of auditions) that Clean Freak will win a "Remi Award" at the Houston WorldFest. A couple of my scripts have won awards in the past, and I'm pleased to have had one of my films win one, too. Thanks, WorldFest!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Congrats on the award for "Clean Freak." Well deserved!

I'm glad the auditions went well. You now have a reputation, thanks to "American Messiah," and actors with real talent are anxious to work for you. You're moving up, Chris.

The good thing about low budget is you get actors who are in it because they are really dedicated to the film, not for the money. I believe, ironically, that money cheapens a film.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind my asking, are you dealing with SAG actors and paying scale? Or with amateurs? Do they work for free? For tiny fees? For a percentage of future profits?

4/05/2008 8:01 AM  
Blogger Shane Alexander said...

Now that's talent. When you can transform your own neuroses into an award, I'd say you have talent.

Glad the beginnings of Endings is going well too.

4/05/2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

I certainly wondered if we had earned a bit of a good reputation off of American Messiah. And yes, you do get actors who are in it because they love it. Of course they very justifiably want to make a living at it, so when are paying next to nothing, as we are, they are trying to build up their resumes.

We are going non-union, simply because we just can't afford SAG. They do have low budget and indie contract options, but even then we have concerns about money. We have almost none. We're paying token amounts, to cover transportation, etc.

4/05/2008 2:15 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Shane -- what better way to exorcise your demons than displaying them proudly for the world to see?

Wait -- that doesn't sound right...

Anyway, winning an award for being an entertaining clean freak is a good feeling. But stopping my cleaning to write this message wasn't...

4/05/2008 2:16 PM  
Blogger B.K. Garceau III said...

Glad Casting went well, can't wait to see how it pans out! And thats some great news from WorldFest!

4/06/2008 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home