Thursday, March 20, 2008

Perks of the Job

One of the perks of being a film prof is that you get to hang out with cool guest speakers. This week, I arranged for filmmaker and Hollywood sound designer Kelley Baker to speak to my freshman "Engaged Learning Group" about alternative distribution methods. Kelley and I became friends vis the internet, of all places, and really clicked. He's known as the "Angry Filmmaker," and he makes his films on ultra-low budgets, then travels around the country showing them, maintaining complete ownership of his work. (I added Kelley's blog to my blogroll, too, if you want to check it out).

That was Monday. Then yesterday and today, Hollywood screenwriters Michael Brandt and Derek Haas spoke to the ELG about the business side of being a screenwriter (as well as other assorted Hollywood topics) after a screening of the Blu-ray DVD of their recent film, 3:10 to Yuma. Mike and Derek are Baylor alums and friends of my good friend and colleague (and producer) Brian Elliott. Also, they're two very cool, laid back guys. I had a blast getting to know them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Kewl!!!!

3/21/2008 8:15 PM  
Blogger Shane Alexander said...

I loved 3:10 to Yuma. A bit violent, but very clever. I had no idea it had a Baylor connection. Very cool.

3/27/2008 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home