Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Endings, Day 5

I wasn't sure at first what day I was blogging about. I'm pretty sure I just got home from day 5, but it's 3am, so perhaps we're into day 6 already (which is actually an off-day).

Hard days. People are working hard for this film of mine, something that flatters me and also gives me a great sense of responsibility to make this work well. The actors are giving it their all. There's just so much to do every day -- it's hard to get it all done, the way I want to do it, in the time we have some days. Today was like that. It seemed like we were moving along at a good speed, bit we just seemed to bog down somewhere, and the day wore on longer than it should have.

Or maybe it didn't. Maybe we didn't bog down. Maybe we were just trying to do too much for one day. I'm not sure, really. We got good footage, so I'm not complaining.

The experience just reminds me how difficult and challenging it is to make a good film. People want it to happen, but circumstances don't.

This post reads like I'm disappointed or upset. Not true. Just reflective, possibly because it's so late (er, early). I probably just need some sleep...

2 Comments:

Blogger DAN BUCK said...

TOTALLY know where you are in this post. Some days the work feels more uphill. There's progress, but it just lacks that "wind-in-your-hair" momentum that makes some days feel magical.

(Wind in your hair is not a metaphor I use lightly.)

I'm praying for you and your process!

6/10/2008 5:41 AM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Thanks, man. I appreciate you understanding. I felt like I was just sounding like a malcontent. Every day holds some new wrinkle or frustration -- an actor we lose, a location that becomes complicated... and every day also has those triumphs of performance or shots (or, better -- both)... it's a weird mix of emotions! Hope TAPE is going well for you.

6/10/2008 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home