Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ah, vacation

I love going on vacation -- in part because I usually get to catch up on movies I've been missing.

In the past week or so, I've seen: The Dark Knight, The Happening, and The Incredible Hulk.

I don't have time for full reviews of everything at the moment, but I did want to say something about The Happening as it's the most maligned of the three I've seen. I flat out disagree with the assessments that it's a lousy film. In fact, I found it incredibly disturbing, with images from it sticking with me for a long time.

I think there are serious flaws with the film, but overall I found the premise truly frightening, and it just worked for me.

I will probably see at least one more movie (maybe more) before returning home...

6 Comments:

Blogger Shane B said...

Hey man! (Yeah, I sold out and got a blog...)

When do I get your full review of The Dark Knight?

7/30/2008 10:25 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Ha -- I'm too lazy to write one, but I think it's a great film, probably the best comic book movie so far. Ledger was amazing... Gyllenhall was... not.

7/31/2008 8:30 AM  
Blogger Yeatsgirl~ said...

No! "The Happening" was lacking! I appreciate what he tried to do - but I strongly feel - it didn't happen.

:)

Glad you're still enjoying the downtime, movietime and book time.

Safe travels home.

7/31/2008 11:24 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

I agree -- in part. I don't think it worked completely. But I also don't think it was an awful film as many people have been saying.

8/01/2008 2:17 PM  
Blogger Shane B said...

Haha I agree. However, she was slightly better than Katie Holmes. I could get more emotion from plywood than her.

8/01/2008 3:03 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Katie Holmes, I agree, was awful. And completely unbelievable as an ADA. But Gyllenhall wasn't much better. The scene where she "interrogates" the Chinese banker/criminal (whose name escapes me at the moment) was laughably unbelievable to me.

8/03/2008 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home