Monday, June 16, 2008

How it Happened

I'm afraid the story of how I broke my wrist isn't an exciting one. And this will be the short version since I'm typing one-handed...

After mowing the lawn and putting the mower away, there were some power cords stuck underneath. When I yanked at them to get them to come loose, they gave way too easily, and I lost my balance as I stumbled backwards. I put my arms out behind me to brace myself and avoid cracking my skull on the pavement, but my wrist got crunched underneath as I fell awkwardly.

I knew right away it was broken because if the pain, and when I grabbed it, I could say the way it was misshapen. My friend Dan took me to the ER, where a number of nurses and doctors responded to the sight of my wrist with some degree of shock ("Huh, that's interesting," said the first ER doctor I saw -- not what you want to hear from your physician).

They had to put it in traction for a while (after numbing it), and then they set the bone. All very painful. They gave me some good painkillers, but I can't take that stuff while trying to direct, so I'm surviving on ibuprofen at the moment.

And this took me 35 minutes to type!

5 Comments:

Blogger Shane Alexander said...

So if I took Dan to the ER when he suffered his ghastly River Dance injury and Dan took you to the ER when you suffered this ghastly (but far less inspired) accident, does that mean that I should call you when I break my collar bone cleaning out my garage next month? I am just trying to keep up.

I hope it wasn't your megaphone-holding hand.

6/17/2008 11:13 AM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

I'm there for ya, man. Gotta keep the circle going!

6/17/2008 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Hope you're OK...

Glad to hear that the shoot is generally going well, and of course, I'm not surprised to hear that your daughter is a talented performer!!

6/17/2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger Christianne Page said...

So sorry! I broke my wrists 4x in four years during my early teen years, and the memory of the pain is still fresh.

Good luck with the rest of production. Is Sherry holding up okay while you're in "production-mode" AND injured to boot?!

6/19/2008 6:01 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

I'm mostly okay - just frustrated by the timing!

Sherry's well, if a bit overwhelmed!

6/19/2008 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home