Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Next Project

So, I'm planning for my next project. I wondered, after making a feature, how long it would take me to want to do another film. I liken it to what a woman must experience after giving birth -- it can be horrific and painful, but the positive aspects must make you forget, because you're willing to go back and do it again.

In truth, I've been ready to start the next film for a while. It's just that little matter of funding. I've got a new feature script that just needs some tweaking, in my opinion, but I don't have the funding together for a feature (and it's not my turn in the department's "rotation" to use the HD equipment and have my film offered as a class, and these are essentials to getting it done).

I made the last feature for about $20,000 in cash, plus the free equipment. So I'm hoping to raise a little more, around $50,000 to do a project that's a little larger in scope. In the meantime, I don't want to sit around doing nothing. So, I'm working on a comedic documentary short about an obsession with cleanliness. The topic might sound just "okay," but I think my approach is interesting and somewhat deconstructive, in that I'm really interested in examining how "truthful" documentary really is by recreating scenes and then later making the viewer aware of the fact that I'm recreating those scenes, which will hopefully call the truth of the whole endeavor into question.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants in this project, compared to my last film. That was a mock documentary that was nonetheless completely scripted and planned (with some improvisation by the terrific actors). But with this, I don't want to over-script it. I really want to capture legitimate documentary footage and perhaps craft my "recreated" scenes from that footage, with a few actors cast in roles otherwise filled by the "real" people.

I'm hoping to get a "summer sabbatical" to concentrate on this project during the summer (though I'll start in earnest in the spring, and in fact I've already shot two interviews for it). And I'm also hoping to get some grant-funding through a Baylor internal grsnt program, a few thousand dollars to pay for student workers to assist me on the project and work on post-production graphic design work.

But if anyone wants to fund my feature, feel free to let me know. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home