Monday, September 10, 2007

Slamdance script news

I just found out that my script, ENDINGS, is a quarterfinalist in the Slamdance Film Festival's screenplay competition. That means that it's in the top 200 of about 2200 total entries (or top 10%).

The next cut will be for the top 50 scripts (the semifinalists).

I admit I"m a little concerned about jinxing this. But the news pleased me, so I felt like posting it. I haven't entered as many contests in the past couple of years because I've been focused on the film festival circuit with my film.

And, in fact, because I am planning on making ENDINGS myself, I haven't really focused on script competitions too much. I did enter it in a few, with some mixed results (in part because I entered earlier drafts in some competitions and later ones in others).

I entered it in Slamdance because the script is a little on the edgy side, and Slamdance sort of likes edgier stuff (know your audience). And one of my previous scripts was a semifinalist and in the top 20 overall several years ago, so I have a soft spot for any competition that has liked my stuff in the past (actually, it's more like "accolade crack" -- once you get a little, you keep wanting more).

Anyway, here's hoping ENDINGS makes it to the top 50 and beyond...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I hope so too. Good luck.

9/11/2007 7:34 AM  
Blogger Mike Everleth said...

That's great news! It's tough to crack that kinda field in any capacity. I'll keep my fingers crossed (right after I stop typing congrats).

9/13/2007 6:56 AM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Thanks, guys. I don't know why in particular, but Slamdance is one I've always really wanted to win -- I like the edgy spirit of the festival, and they seem to really like quirky, offbeat stuff in the script competition, too (which suits my quirky, offbeat tastes!)

9/13/2007 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home