Sunday, January 13, 2008

Golden Globes note

Since this blog has become almost all Sweeney Todd, all the time, I think it only fitting that I should mention that the film won the Golden Globe for Best Picture (Comedy or Musical), and that Johnny Depp won for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. I'm really pleased by this because I'd like to see the film earn some major Academy Awards nominations, and this makes it at least a bit more likely.

Of course, this begs the question: Why exactly do I care that a film I like gets awards? Will it affect how much I like the film if it doesn't win awards? Of course not. But that's a whole separate post, so I'll just leave it there.

Also, I admit I'm surprised that Best Picture - Drama went to Atonement and not No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood. I expected those to be the front-runners. Interesting.

2 Comments:

Blogger B.K. Garceau III said...

I too agree, about Sweeny Todd. I think it deserves notice for the overall piece of work. I found it very captivating and inviting me in just like the ship returning Sweeny to his old home.

As far as Atonement goes....I don't know. After seeing No Country and Blood. However I am not shocked. Babel won last year at the globes and I had to disagree with that. So I am sure its just a matter of perspective.

1/13/2008 9:38 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

definitely, there's a foreign film bias there (it is, after all, the Hollywood FOREIGN Press Assoc who gives out the Globes...). so, Babel last year, Atonement this year, not a huge shock.

1/14/2008 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home