Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ENDINGS Post-Production Update

Post-production continues on Endings. The first cut had a lot of issues (no offense to BK, the editor -- and one of my blog readers), but the latest cut is really starting to come together. As I watch certain scenes being re-cut, it's been enjoyable to me to see the performances really come alive. They were always there, waiting to be found. And it feels like we're beginning to find them.

Of course, I'm still watching it one or two scenes at a time. Once we get each scene working as well as it can, we have to go back and see how it all fits together, which will necessitate another round of cutting. But right now, it feels like I'm watching the cut come together, which is nice.

I also met this week with a group of Entertainment Marketing students who have been working on ideas for marketing the film, getting the word out to potential audiences, etc. Once of their best ideas, I think, came in the form of a "submit your video" competition, where people can "Describe YOUR Ending" -- in other words, describe what your last day would be like, if you knew today was to be your last. I really like the idea of getting people to submit such videos (through YouTube or Vimeo or some other web video tool). It could potentially get people talking about the ideas in the film, thinking about how you might want to spend your last day. And, after all, that is one of the primary "hooks" of the film.

I'm curious what blog readers think of this idea. If you have an opinion, feel free to express it in the comments.

7 Comments:

Blogger B.K. Garceau III said...

hmmm - first cut eh? I agree totally.

The endings idea is interesting - I only wonder who the intended audience would be? But, since as you said, its a hook to the film, it really works to underline the current situations the characters face.

11/18/2008 7:20 PM  
Blogger Mike Everleth said...

I like the video idea. You should do it and post them on the film's website. Sounds like a fun project.

11/18/2008 11:27 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

No offense intended, BK. I wouldn't have said it if the new cut wasn't looking vastly improved!

I agree with you both that the video idea sounds interesting. Mike, that's exactly what I was thinking -- posting them on the site (or posting selected ones anyway)... and getting people interested. How's the employment-hunting?

11/19/2008 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea quite a bit. It reminds me a little of the "sweded videos" contest associated with Be Kind Rewind, although it's obviously a different concept.

I think you'll have to make it somewhat specific and to tie it pretty clearly to the "hook" of the film, but it would be a great way to generate blog discussion.

11/19/2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger B.K. Garceau III said...

I wasn't offended at all! It's why I edit, I am constantly fascinated by the continuing process of refining and carving the story out of the mountain of footage. I wasn't sure we'd even be able to cut certain scenes the way they play now in cut 2!

11/19/2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger Chris Hansen said...

Chuck -- yes, it definitely has to be specific so that people stay close to the hook of the film.

BK -- I'm certainly pleased to see scenes start to come together...

11/19/2008 7:49 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

That sounds like a great idea, Chris! Best of luck with it. But perhaps you might also want to consider, in addition, allowing people to write essays/stories if their filmmaking skills aren't good.

Starting thinking about who would judge the entries, what criteria would be used, and what the prize(s) would be.

If this is a unique idea in film marketing, let the press know that. The furure of marketing is a genuine news story. And you can get free publicity out of that.

I'm glad to hear that the editing is going so well.

11/20/2008 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home