Thursday, November 13, 2008

Living without your MacBook Pro

My trusty MacBook Pro fell victim to a faulty NVIDIA chip. Having read the news items, I knew this day would come. But it doesn't come with any warning; it just happens. The screen just remains black, and you really can't do anything about it. And it's very, very frightening, especially when you don't regularly back up all your data to an external drive.

Fortunately, my department has several labs with iMacs as well as another MacBook Pro being used for research purposes, so I very quickly had two back-up computers to use, albeit without my own data.

And two days later, I had my own MacBook Pro back, with a new NVIDIA chip, new logic board, and a new 160 GB hard drive with all my data copied onto it (side note: how did I accumulate 95 GB of data -- time to do some spring cleaning on the ol' hard drive).

Phew -- life returns to normal. I was worried there for a few days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home